Sunday, February 10, 2008

Single women a Threat to Society?

We're still waiting on a few folks, but we may as well get posting in the mean time.


I recently ran across an article that noted that as of 2005, 51% of women were, by choice, living without a spouse of some sort.
For the first time in American history, married couples make up the minority of households.
It's been postulated that this is a sign that our society is shifting. Shifting in directions some people dislike. Although they choose to call it 'decline.'
I'll call it decline when bestiality and pedophilia are no longer taboo (hey, neither one can give consent, so when we cross the line into violating others without consent, then we are declining).
Until then, we're simply becoming a more open, accepting society.

Without the need for protection and provision, there is no real reason for women to get married, and that frightens certain people in our culture--usually the same ones who want us wimmin back in the kitchen and at their beck and call. The option that we have to be single is a threat to them, so the call it a sign our society is declining.

Can't lie, I don't see many of the reasons our mothers and grandmothers married carrying over into our generation. I don't need someone to provide for me or to protect me. I work and I can get a gun.
Frankly, the only reasons I may ever bother with actually getting married is for the legal protections. I want my spouse to be able to make end-of-life decisions for me, should I be unable to do so. They are in the best position to be doing so--even more than let's say, my mother. That person should be able to inherit my stuff, and so on. And vise versa. And also for the sake of any resulting children--they need the certainty that married parents provide (NOTE: this applies mainly to American society--there are others where even without marriage, a couple tends to stay together).