Monday, March 24, 2008

Fear

It's not my thing to use blogs as diaries, because, well, why would you be interested in my little life? I'd rather you be interested in something I have to say than who I talked to today.
But this is related to a recent mile stonearoundtheneck that our nation has reached--4,000 of our young men and women are dead.

I have a fair number of friends in one or another branch of the military, and I dread seeing a face I know gracing the cover page of my local newspaper. I walk around my neighborhood and see RIP stickers on cars for people in my 'burb who've died. I don't ever want to face the opportunity to get one of those for someone I love. Articles that discuss this topic I read with the deepest trepidation, worrying I'll see a name I know. A face I know.

#4,000, whoever you are, may you rest in peace.